Your family is in for a treat when you put this perogie bake together. Combining delicacies from three dominant European cultures, this dish satisfies the ultimate quest for decadence. There’s no point to counting calories when making this recipe – just enjoy it!
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded old Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 slices of Hungarian Salami, thinly sliced
- Foodies Galore Bechamel Sauce as follows
♦ 1 and 1/2 cups milk, warmed
♦ 2 Tbsp butter
♦ 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
♦ 2 large egg yolks
♦ 1/8 tsp nutmeg
♦ 1/4 tsp each salt, black pepper and garlic powder
- 22 frozen perogies
- Extra butter for greasing the baking dish
- Prepare the Bechamel sauce first.
- Heat a sauce pan on low-medium.
- Melt the butter and combine the flour to make a rue. Remove the pan from the heat until the milk is warm and ready to be added.
- Warm the milk in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave for 90 seconds. Wait a few seconds, and then warm again for another 45 seconds.
- Place the sauce pan back on the stove burner. Use a whisk to mix the milk into the rue, stirring quickly and evenly. Whisk until the sauce thickens.
- Add the nutmeg, salt, pepper, garlic powder and egg yolks.
- Whisk another minute or so on reduced or no heat until the sauce is well incorporated, thick and bubbly.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Gently place the frozen perogies in the boiling water and cook them for about 5 to 7 minutes or until they have been floating on the surface for more than 2 minutes.
- Grease a 9″x13″ baking dish with lots of butter.
- Place half the boiled perogies in the dish.
- Pour half the Bechamel sauce over the perogies.
- Sprinkle half the sliced salami and shredded cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat another layer.
Bake for half an hour on 400 degrees, or until the salami is lightly crisp and the cheese is lightly browned.
Eat this bake warm and fresh from the oven 🙂