For a rustic twist on Spanish Rice, try adding a cob of corn sliced into medallions. This dish is fun, hearty and full of Latin flavours. Feel free to adjust the spices to your taste and liking. At medium spice, this dish was a hit with the Foodies Galore family.
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white stems of green onion
- 1 large cob of corn, cut in 1/2″ medallions
- Either 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 – 3 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chili sauce (your favourite)
- 3/4 cup long grain rice, uncooked and rinsed
- 1 and 3/4 cups meaty tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
Using a large skillet, coat the diced green onion, corn cob medallions and uncooked rice with olive oil and garlic, chili powder, salt, black pepper and chili sauce on medium heat.
Add the meaty tomato sauce and water.
Cover the skillet with a lid and turn the heat down to low.
Allow the Spanish rice to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the skillet covered for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Try adding a generous dollop of natural yoghurt to your serving – delicious and cools the spiciness.