The smoked flavour in this vegetarian dish sets the mood for a rustic experience. Using all fresh ingredients, this chili embodies clean and healthy eating. You’d be surprised how quick and easy it is to prepare.
Unlike other chili dishes, this chili does not use tomato sauce. Instead, prepare fresh tomatoes bruchetta-style as follows:
- Dice 2 ripe tomatoes into very small bits and place into a bowl
- Break down the tomatoes by adding plenty of salt, oil, smoked paprika and garlic
- Stir continually for a good 5 to 10 minutes with a table spoon until the mixture begins to liquify
To make the chili:
- Heat a sauce pot on medium heat but do not add oil yet.
- Add all ingredients at the same time, layered in this order:
- 1 zucchini cut in medium sized chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in medium sized chunks
- Lots of mushrooms (wiped first with paper towel) then cut in quarters each
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- the brushetta-style prepared tomatoes
- Coat the ingredients with olive oil – about 1/4 cup.
- Season with
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- sweet chili powder
- just a touch of hot chili powder or cayenne (about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon depending on your heat tolerance)
- Slightly stir in the ingredients after a good sizzle begins.
- Do not cover the pot. Stir the ingredients just slightly every 5 to 10 minutes for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the veggies are slightly browned and cooked.
This vegetarian chili is best served with rice or a rustic piece of dense bread (ciabatta or rye).