Recently, Foodies Galore published some of the latest and intriguing scientific facts about the tremendous health benefits of eating carrots.
We didn’t want all that new-found wisdom to go to waste, so we came up with a delicious carrot soup that we must share!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp curry (either paste or powder)
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 – 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups grated old cheddar
- In a heated soup pot, drizzle some olive oil to coat the bottom and start by sautéing the chopped carrots and apple. After 3 to 5 minutes they should begin to soften slightly.
- Add the ground ginger, garlic powder, ground thyme, allspice, ground nutmeg, cayenne and curry.
- Add the vegetable stock. Cover the pot and simmer for about 40 minutes. When the carrots are fork tender, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a mixing wand, blend the soup until it reaches the texture and smoothness you like.
- Mash the cornstarch into the sour cream.
- Turn the heat back on – when the soup begins to lightly bubble, stir the sour cream into the soup until it dissolves.
- Add the shredded cheddar and milk. Continue to simmer until the soup begins to thicken.
- Salt to taste.
- Turn the stove off and allow the soup to rest a few hours before eating. This allows it to thicken more.
This creamy and cheesy soup goes great with crusty warm bread and good company 🙂