For a hearty and well-rounded vegetarian meal, create a Spanish el banquete or el festín. The dishes we included are quite economical and healthy. If you have a palate for spicier fare, these delights can be enjoyed with your favourite hot sauce. A bit of planning and preparation turns this combo into the perfect food display. A great idea for entertaining or Sunday dinner.
Refried beans, Spanish rice, fried mushrooms and bean burritos are on the menu for today.
For these refried beans you must use dried beans, soaked overnight. Romano, pinto or kidney beans are all good choices. Canned beans don’t work.
The beans are best cooked in a slow cooker the next day for several hours until the skin on the beans begin to split open. This result is essential for mashing.
Once the beans are cooked using this method, the rest is simple and very quick.
Use a potato masher to mash the beans with some of the reserved water from the slow cooker.
Heat a skillet on medium high and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil. Add the mashed beans. Then to the beans, add the following ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed through a garlic press or 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lime, juiced
Heat through, stirring everything together and it’s done. The cooking time, once the beans are in the skillet, should be less than 5 minutes.
- Cook 1 cup of rice and allow to cool.
- In a heated skillet coated with olive oil, sauté 1 cup corn niblets and 2 green chilies cut in half for about 3 minutes.
- Fluff the cooked rice and pour it into the skillet.
- Drizzle more olive oil onto the rice. Then drizzle your favorite hot sauce. If you don’t want any spice at all then simply don’t add it. Alternatively, you may add some tomato juice or sauce to give the rice a reddish tinge.
- Add 1 teaspoon each: chili powder, cumin and garlic powder.
- Gently fold the ingredients together until moderately blended. You don’t want to break the rice up too much.
- Remove to a platter.
Sauté whole mushrooms – with garlic butter
Leave the mushrooms whole. Only wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel. Do not wash them or get water on them or the taste will be affected. When they are nicely seared, place the mushrooms around the rice on the platter.
Make Bean Burritos
We used whole wheat tortilla wraps. To assemble the buritto, lay the wrap on a piece of foil or wax paper. Add about 2 or 3 tablespoons of the Spanish rice into the middle of the wrap. Then place about 1 and ½ tablespoons of the refried beans on the rice. Top the beans with fresh chopped tomato and shredded cheddar. Fold the shorter ends up first. Then roll the longer ends over the shorter folded ends. You may want to use the foil or wax paper to help with the rolling.
Lay the burrito flat on the seam onto a hot skillet to sear the bottom shut. This should only take about 1 minute, or less.
For a nice presentation, cut the seared burrito in half on a diagonal and place around the rice on the platter.
Side dishes you may wish to add around the platter:
- A bowl of tomato or spicy marinara sauce
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- Fresh chilies, chopped
- Fresh tomato chunks
(English translation – happy eating)