Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. We’ve all heard that statement before. Sometimes, young picky eaters don’t want food first thing in the morning. Especially if they’re feeling a bit anxious about a test at school that day.
Moments like these require a little creativity in the kitchen. Since we eat with our eyes first, why not dazzle our little ones with some eye candy?
Colour is appealing to children. Nature’s best offers an array of colours in fresh fruit.
Juicy red raspberries. Green apples. Oranges. Ruby pomegranates. Red grapes. Purple grapes. Green grapes. You get the picture.
Combined with cheese, fruit is a nice start to the day. Fruit is full of essential vitamins and helps keep us regular.
These cheese melts are super easy to prepare and pleasing to the eye.
All you need is:
- A toaster oven
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- Old cheddar cheese (medium cheddar works also)
- English muffins
- Margarine or butter
Here’s what you do:
- Split the English muffins in half and toast them on the broil setting for a few minutes first, just plain.
- When the edges are just beginning to brown, remove them from the toaster oven and assemble as follows:
- Spread some margarine on them.
- Lay some very thinly sliced green apple on them next.
- Cover the apples with shredded or thinly sliced cheddar.
- Broil in the toaster oven for 5 minutes.
- Tell your children to close their eyes and wait for their surprise!
Easy. Healthy. Delicious. Fun.
Let us know how much your kids love these the next time they don’t feel like having breakfast.
Breakfast is a big deal. I love it.Joey Lawrence